Search

Why are my eyelash extensions falling out?

Updated: Aug 16, 2019

You saved up the money. You made the appointment. You laid there patiently for hours while the extensions were glued on. You spent a small fortune on these fluffy little investments, and you fell in love with them. Some of you headed home and followed all the proper aftercare instructions, were extra gentle with them, and somehow they began falling out like crazy! If this has happened to you, or is happening right now, don't panic! Look through these reasons as to why your eyelash extensions may be falling out; and remember that 20% of the retention outcome is from the lash artist and the other 80% is all in the aftercare.


Natural Eyelash Shedding

Your natural eyelashes shed about 2-5 lashes per day. During the autumn and winter months, the shedding can increase extensively for the hair follicles all over our body due to the colder and much shorter days (this is called seasonal molting). Your natural lashes may also shed faster if you live a healthy and active lifestyle. This is completely normal and there is not much you can do to stop it, however more than 5-7 lash extensions lost per day is considered abnormal.


Wearing Mascara/Waterproof Makeup

The whole point in paying a small fortune for eyelash extensions, is so that you don't have to wear mascara, so adding a thick layer of black oils and waxes on top of your gorgeous falsies really doesn't make much sense and causes your extensions harm. Oil found in mascaras breaks down the bond in the adhesive and waterproof makeup can be difficult to remove and can tug at your extensions and natural hair roots. This will not only force the lash extension to fall, but can even rip your natural lashes right out. Eek! Don't do it!


Oily Skin or Overly Active Oil Glands

Having oily skin means you are probably not a good candidate for eyelash extensions. Why? Because they will fall off faster than normal from the excessive oils your face/lids are producing. As stated above, oils break down the bonds in the adhesive, and in extreme cases, the extensions won't even stick during the application!


Technician Error

We all like to think that our lash lady is the best there is and isn't forgetting a single step to your lash appointment. But we are all human. Sometimes there is the possibility for error and it does happen to the best of us. A technician could not be experienced enough or worse, could not even be professionally trained, and attaches the extensions in the correct spot of the natural lash which will minimize the amount of contact room and fall off the natural lash. Error can also occur when improper prep work happens, or expired/faulty products are used.


Picking/Rubbing Your Lashes

Sometimes you can't help but rub your eyes, but you have to make sure to be gentle when rubbing and only do it if you NEED to. Try to use the spoolie brush you are given at your appointment if there is an itchy spot on your eyelid instead of excessively rubbing. Picking your eyelash extensions is a huge no-no. You can and will rip out your natural eyelashes which in turn means there will be nothing to glue a false lash on to at your next fill (you'll get bald spots!).


Sleeping Style

If you're like me, you love to sleep on your face. Smushed into the pillow. However, if you have eyelash extensions, that's the perfect way to get them to bend and snap right off your natural lashes. The cotton pillowcases many of us have are the cause of hair and lash breakage. Trade that pillowcase in for a nice silk case, and sleep on your back for optimal lash retention.


Not Washing Your Lashes

A lot of clients have told me that they don't wash their eyelash extensions with anything but a splash of water out of fear that they will make them fall out. I'm here to tell you right now that is F A L S E. It is SO important to wash your eyelash extensions every single day or at least 3 times a week. This not only helps your extensions last longer because you are cleaning off the oil and debris that accumulates throughout the day, but you are also lowering your risk of getting an infection, bacteria build up, or the horrifying... lash mites. Yes. Eyelash mites—a.k.a., Demodex